Congressman Bobby Scott represents the 3rd Congressional District of Virginia and serves as Chair of the Education and Labor Committee. On the call, he spoke about House Resolution 6201 (Families First Coronavirus Response Act) that already passed to provide more paid sick leave for more Americans. He also gave important updates from federal actions that had been taken up through 3/24/2020. The federal government must help states beef up their ability to pay higher unemployment compensation, help protect workers at their jobs from infectious diseases, and protect election integrity by investing resources for voting by mail. Congressman Scott was instrumental in making sure that legislation that passes for COVID19 helps workers across the nation. See below for websites and resources from his office.
- Rep. Scott’s main COVID-19 page
- Rep. Scott’s FAQ on Government Response
- Rep. Scott Press Release with fact sheets on the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act (House Dem COVID-19 3 package)
- Rep. Scott Press Release with fact sheets on the First Coronavirus Response Act
Since the call, the CARES Act has passed and here are some resources on the $2T in the bill:
- Rep. Scott Press Release on the CARES Act
- Analysis on the $2T CARES Act from NPR
- Analysis on the $2T CARES Act from NY Times
- Answer on Direct Deposit and Tax Services:
- Question: How will I get my stimulus money if I usually file my taxes through a company that gets my refund first and then they send me the refund by direct deposit?
- Answer: Based on info received from the House Ways & Means Committee, those refunds that are connected to refund products are flagged by the IRS. So, they will not deposit the stimulus check into those accounts. Those constituents should be able to update their direct deposit information through the portal when that is established. However, if the IRS already has mailed a paper check to them before they update in the portal, they will not be able to update the information.
April 30th @ 7pm: Telephone Town Hall on COVID-19
Congressman Scott's next Telephone Town Hall on COVID-19 will be this THURSDAY, April 30th at 7:00 p.m.
The purpose of this call is to inform you of what Congress, the Administration and the Commonwealth of Virginia are doing and what you can do to limit the spread of COVID-19. I will provide an overview of recently passed legislation and supports available to individuals, families, students, workers, and small business owners. I will be joined by health experts and officials from the Internal Revenue Service, the Small Business Administration, and the Virginia Employment Commission to help answer your questions.
If you would like to participate in this Tele-Town Hall, please register to receive the call by going to bobbyscott.house.gov/live. The event will also be streamed live on my Facebook page as well as my website.
If you have any questions about this event, please call either of my offices at (757) 380-1000 or (202) 225-8351.
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, YouTub
Very truly yours,
ROBERT C. "BOBBY" SCOTT
Member of Congress
Congressman Scott's Website & Social Media:
Last updated 4/28/2020